Sunday, July 25, 2010

Old Spice smells like social media success

Old Spice videos go viral on YouTube, schooling companies on using social networks
www.computerworld.com/s/article/9179253/Old_Spice_smells_like_social_media_success

I was looking for an article for my second e-marketingclass assignment and I was planning to talk about YouTube and social media, since I think we covered a lot else in this area from Facebook to Twitter but being a YouTube user myself I thought we were missing something. So I found this article about the success of the Old Spice campaign and had to check the videos. To be honest the video itself did not catch my attention, but as described in the article Procter & Gamble combined the different technologies/media available Facebook, Yahoo, Twitter, YouTube ... to give "life" and rejuvenate the image of Old Spice. The actor in character answers questions and comments engaging the consumers.
As discussed in class the power shifted from companies to individuals, from a centralized push to decentralized pull, so companies have to find more ways to engage customers, specially in an era that DVRs allows us to take control and skip commercials and that the traditional marketing is not as effective, so having people search and talk about a specific one (or ones) is definetely a win for P&G, but what also made this initiative different and a success was the innovation in combining the videos and live responses, the engagement with the audience.

No comments: