Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Boomers Zero in on Social Networks

by Ashley Abend

Over five years ago, a then senior in my undergraduate career at Canisius College, I joined an online network called Facebook. The only way to join was if you had a registered college e-mail address that was within the approved list by Facebook. At the time, I thought of it as a way to stay in touch with all of the great people I had met along my four years as we all moved in separate directions in the "real world". I also was able to re-connect with older friends from high school if they were members of Facebook and if I knew what college they attended.

Over the next few years Facebook began to grow in popularity. They changed the criteria and it was made available for high school students and soon the entire public. Before I knew it my mom, my boyfriend's mom, and other relatives in the 50 years old and over age range had joined. Still, I only viewed it as a way to stay in touch and share information on each other's lives. Not until my recent career change did I realize the importance of Facebook and how it has changed the world as we know it.

In an article posted in USA Today, "Boomers Zero in on Social Networking" , Marc R. della Cava discusses how millions of baby boomers and older have joined in on the phenomenon that was once thought to be only for teenagers.....

To read more please check out my blog at AshleyA emarketing class blog******************

No comments: